Gas and Carbon Monoxide leaks — What should I do?

PUBLISHED ON:
PUBLISHED IN:
Emergencies

If you think you can smell gas or you have a gas leak call 0800 111 999 and —

  • Do not smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Do not turn light switches on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or any other electrical switches.
  • Open all doors and windows to let the gas escape.
  • Check your gas appliances are switched off.
  • Call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999.
  • If possible and safe, turn the gas supply off at the meter.

If you are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the same number — 0800 111 999.